Your milk is rich in every foodstuff that your baby needs. Apart from nutritional worth, breastfeeding makes sound sense because;-
- Breast-fed babies are less prone to illness than bottle-fed babies. There are fewer cases of gastroenteristis, chest infection, and measles and this is directly attributable to the antibodies that the baby receives.
- Human breast milk is more easily and quickly digested than cow’s milk.
- Breast-fed babies don’t get contispated; the stools that babies do pass are always soft and comparatively odourless, and don’t contain the bacteria which generally cause ammonia dermatitis, so your baby is less prone to nappy rash.
- Breast-fed babies rarely become over-weight. Each baby has its own appetite and metabolic rate- so do not worry if your baby is fatter or thinner than your neighbour’s.
- Breast-feeding is the most convenient method.
- Breast-fed babies have less wind and sleep longer.
- Breast-feeding is good for your figure. During breast-feeding a hormone called oxytocin is released and this encourages the uterus to return to its normal size, stimulating the milk production. Your pelvis and waistline returns to normal more quickly!
- Breast-feeding may provide some protection against breast cancer!!
- Breast-feeding helps you bond with your baby
It is important that mothers who are breast-feeding have sufficient quantity of the varied, balanced and natural food. Good nutrition helps a mother maintain her health. As long as you are eating a healthy, nutritious diet, neither you nor your baby are likely to fall short of any vitamins or minerals.